The Institute of Atmospheric Physics (IAP), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), originates from the Institute of Meteorology of Academia Sinica established in 1928. Nowadays, the IAP has developed into a prestigious and comprehensive research institute covering various branches of atmospheric science.
In its 90-year history, the IAP has been exploring the frontiers of the atmospheric sciences, promoting the development of meteorology, oceanography, environmental protection, agriculture, aerospace, water conservancy and resources. Through its frontier studies, the IAP has made significant contributions to natural disaster mitigation, environmental protection, and economic welfare.
To mark its 90th anniversary, and in-line with its mission to help disseminate atmospheric physics and promote the science spirit, the IAP will organize a weather photography competition called the “IAP 90th Anniversary Cup”.
Weather and its impact
Photos or a short video of weather phenomena such as cloud, fog, rain, snow, hail, high winds, lightning, secondary rainbows, aurora etc. demonstrating the impact on the human or natural environment.
(1) Picture size and format: Photos must be in JPEG format, with a high resolution of no less than 3000 pixels, and the file should be no larger than 50 MB.
(2) Short-video format: Videos must be in MPEG, MP4, MOV, AVI or other commonly used formats. The length should be no more than 60 seconds and the image quality should be no less than 720 P.
(3) Please write us a short introduction to the work and the photographer. The time and location of the photo/video, equipment used, and the name and contact information of the photographer should be included.
4. Rules and regulations
(1) No more than 20 pictures per participant. Static photos, group images and short videos are accepted.
(2) All works must be taken by the participant him- or herself, who must have complete intellectual property rights.
(3) Changing the content (pixels) of the picture is prohibited.
(4) In order to print and exhibit, the originals will be needed if selected.
All works must be submitted online via the official website (http://iap90sy.iap.ac.cn/ ), in the entrant’s real name and not a pseudonym.
31 August 2018
The awards for this competition are as follows: first prize (5 awardees); second prize (10 awardees); third prize (20 awardees). The prize for the first, second and third prize is 5000 RMB, 2000 RMB and 500 RMB respectively. All participants will receive an IAP 90th anniversary souvenir.
The winning entries will be exhibited during a week of special events devoted to celebrating the IAP’s 90th anniversary, and some of them will be placed in the main building of the CAS Global Climate Change and Environmental Science Research Center for long-term exhibition.
The works will only be used for non-commercial purposes, such as exhibition and popular science. The sponsor does not pay the copyright cost of the works separately. It will be assumed that, upon entry to the competition, contestants agree to this copyright policy.
Contact: Mr. Scott Guo
Phone: +86 10 82995010