2012 academic annual meeting of State Key Laboratory of Numerical Modeling for Atmospheric Sciences and Geophysical Fluid Dynamics (LASG), Institute of Atmospheric Physics (IAP), Chinese Academy of Sciences was held in Beijing on December 25-27th, 2012. The opening ceremony was hosted by Wansuo Duan, director assistant of LASG. After the deputy director of IAP Hongbin Chen delivered the opening speech, Wenneng Zhou, head of Base Construction, Department of Basic Research, Ministry of Science and Technology of the People’s Republic of China, Chaolin Zhang, head of Atmospheric Sciences, Earth Sciences, National Natural Science Foundation of China and Xiaobo Ren, head of the Atmosphere in Marine Science, Bureau of Science and Technology for Resource and Environment, Chinese Academy of Sciences had respectively addressed congratulations to the meeting. They not merely fully affirmed LASG’s accomplishment but also put forward higher requirement for LASG’s future development, who is expected to be an internationally excellent laboratory and a leader in the field of domestic atmospheric sciences research.
On behalf of LASG’s leading group, director Riyu Lu gave participants a report on “work summary of LASG in 2012”. He presented LASG’s scientific research and management work and proposed the prospect of future work in 2013, which centered on research progress and highlights of the four priority research areas, project application, building of talent teams, international organizations appointment, etc. During 2012, LASG has made a remarkable progress in the scientific research and laboratory management as follows.
1. Scientific research: LASG has published 229 papers (147 SCI papers) and 1 monograph; academician Guoxiong Wu has been awarded the honorary member of Royal Meteorological Society; Huijun Wang, director of IAP, received the Science and Technology Awards of the Ho Leung Ho Lee Foundation; Tianjun Zhou, deputy director of LASG, has the honor to win the “Journal of Climate Editor Award” issued by American Meteorological Society and a large number of young people also won all types of awards.
2. International organization appointment: academician Guoxiong Wu has been elected as the chairman of Chinese National Committee for IUGG; academician Guangyu Shi has been elected as the chairman of Asia-Pacific Radiation Commission for IRC and Jianping Li, deputy director of LASG, has been elected as the vice-president of CCEC.
3. Project application: Dr. Xiangjun Tian has applied for 1 State 863 Project; Wen Chen has applied for 1 State Key Program of National Natural Science; Huijun Wang has applied for 1 International Cooperation Project and other members of LASG has successfully applied for 12 scientific projects as well.
4. Talent cultivation: there are 32 doctoral students and 6 postgraduates graduated in 2012.
5. Laboratory management: LASG has teamed up for a “NSCC-LASG climate simulation joint laboratory” with National Supercomputing Center of Tianjin and opened with an inaugural ceremony in the academic annual meeting. Guangming Liu, director of National Supercomputing Center made an introduction of “Tianhe-1” supercomputer and its future development. The establishment of joint laboratory is able to alleviate a serious shortage of computational resources and significantly push forward the climate model research and climate simulation.
Next, the invited lectures part were presided by academician Guoxiong Wu and academician Chongyin Li. Academician Jiping Chao, came from National Marine Environmental Forecasting Center, State Oceanic Administration People’s Republic of China; academician Yeli Yuan, came from First Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration People’s Republic of China; academician Ronghui Huang and Guoxiong Wu, came from Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences and academician Mu Mu, came from Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences launched five excellent reports based on their recent research.
In the following branch meetings, LASG members and other scholars from associate organizations conducted discussion and exchange ideas of the big issues like “climate change and its influence”, “ocean process and air-sea interaction”, “land surface process and land-air interaction”, “observation, simulation and predictability”, etc. Attendees of the meeting also include the executives of LASG’s open subjects who talked about new sciences focusing on the research mission. On the last day, 32 graduate students from LASG and other units reported the latest progress in their studies. Besides, some elaborate posters received a favorable response during the meeting.
It finds that there were over 240 representatives attended the meeting. Apart from LASG members, other participants were from affiliated departments of China Meteorological Administration, First Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration People’s Republic of China, Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, South China Sea Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Institute of Tibetan Plateau Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Peking University, Beijing Normal University, Nanjing University, Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology, Lanzhou University, University of Science and Technology of China, Xiamen University, PLA University of Science and Technology, Ocean University of China, Sun Yat-Sen University, Yunnan University, Chengdu University of Information Technology, National Supercomputing Center of Tianjin and leaders and experts and other colleagues from IAP. The academic annual meeting not only reviewed LASG’s research and management work throughout the year, but better accelerate its future affirmative development.
leaders’ speech at the opening ceremony
inaugural ceremony of “Tianhe-1” supercomputer
five invited lectures